10 Reasons Why Everyone Will Love Kansas City This Summer!
By Greg Montague
10. KC Streetcar. This fun new travel option ferries people between downtown restaurants, art galleries, and shopping areas—for FREE!
9. The Power & Light District. Folks can dine in style or on a budget at dozens of restaurants within three blocks of the convention center.
8. BBQ. Kansas City is known for some of the finest barbecue in America! My personal favorite? Jack Stack Barbecue, just south of the convention center in the Freight House District.
7. The College Basketball Experience and National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. Sports fans will LOVE this tribute to the game so many enjoy.
6. The Country Club Plaza. Designed in 1922 as the nation’s first suburban shopping district, this amazing outdoor mall/museum is filled with Spanish architecture, fountains, sculptures, murals, restaurants, shops, and more. Guys, your wives will LOVE this!
5. Kansas City history. The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, The American Jazz Museum, The Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum, and the National World War I Museum and Memorial are all local, Smithsonian-quality venues worth exploring.
4. Kansas City Royals baseball! As the convention ends, the Royals begin a series with the Minnesota Twins on Friday, June 30. Experience the vibe!
3. BBQ. Did I mention that Kansas City is nationally known for GREAT barbecue? My millennial sons prefer Arthur Bryant’s. Begin your own family barbecue contest!
2. Numerous family fun destinations. Worlds of Fun, Oceans of Fun, Legoland Discovery Center, Sea Life, the Kansas City Zoo, and more call Kansas City home.
1. The North American Christian Convention! Everyone will want to soak up the replenishment of this year’s NACC.
As the old song says, “Ev’rythin’s Up to Date in Kansas City”! So plan to come early or stay late this June. It’s guaranteed to be one of the best weeks of your summer!
Greg Montague serves as pastor with SouthWoods Christian Church, Overland Park, Kansas.