By Jim Tune Most popular treatments of faith say it doesn’t matter what you believe. Just believe something—whatever you want—and you’ll find the sheer act of believing will propel you to greatness. The parades and musical numbers at Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom encourage visitors to believe in themselves and celebrate their dreams, whatever they are. […]
By Mark A. Taylor Today I’m remembering insights about faith-sharing in last month’s Beyond the Standard online interview. Plan to tune-in to this month’s discussion, “Ministry Today” with CHRISTIAN STANDARD columnist Eddie Lowen, this Thursday, July 31, 11 a.m. Eastern. My eye fell on a small tract, propped against the mirror on the shelf above […]
Meet Our Contributing Editors: In this final interview of CHRISTIAN STANDARD’s contributing editors, we talk with the writer who interviewed all the others. This worker and watcher of the church talks about small churches, megachurches, and the failings and future possibilities of our movement. Tell us who you are—not a recitation of your résumé, but […]
This treatment of the International Sunday School Lesson is written by Sam E. Stone, former editor of CHRISTIAN STANDARD. It is published in the July 20 issue of The Lookout magazine, and is also available online at www.lookoutmag.com. ______ By Sam E. Stone Last month’s lessons were all based on Paul’s first letter to the church in Corinth. […]
By Cam Huxford (From our series “The Best or Worst Advice I’ve Ever Received.”) When I was in college, I had dated a girl for some time but hesitated to take the relationship to the next level and ask her to marry me. I hesitated because I had concerns about a number of subtle issues related […]
By Vince Antonucci (From our series “The Best or Worst Advice I’ve Ever Received.”) The best advice I’ve received is from one of my spiritual mentors, Dean Trune. In fact, you can find this advice in every e-mail Dean sends out. The advice is that the most essential thing I can do today is spend […]
By Gary Johnson (From our series “The Best or Worst Advice I’ve Ever Received.”) As the lead servant at Indian Creek Christian Church (The Creek) in Indianapolis, I will be forever indebted to the late Dr. Joe Ellis, one of my favorite professors at Cincinnati Christian University. Dr. Ellis told me there are two types […]
By Steve Reeves (From our series “The Best or Worst Advice I’ve Ever Received.”) I have been very fortunate to have Max Hickerson as my mentor in ministry. He has given me much practical advice over the years. While in seminary, he gave these “Notes to Help You Immerse Others into Christ: If you are […]
- Right Here, Right Now
- Persecution Preparation
- Thanks, but No Thanks?
- Big Buildings, Big Holes
- A Conversation with Kevin Dooley
- Hire, Fire, Decide, Defer
- A Conversation with Caleb Kaltenbach
- Hidden in a Field
- A Conversation about Church Leadership
- Put It in Print
- Service Reminder
- Small Vision
- A Conversation with Lisa Harper
- Be More
- $hort, $imple, $ignificant
- A Simple Charge
- Time Pout
- Their Prison, My Freedom
- Intentional About Intentions
- A Conversation with Gene Appel
- The Secret to a Level Head
- Somebody Already
- The Desire of My Heart
- Would a Belly Have Been Better?
- Things Will Get Better . . . or Worse!
- A Conversation with Rick Rusaw
- Too Pretty?
- Father Knew Best
- Selling Carpet and Serving the Lord
- Where’s Jesus?
- A Conversation with Ben Merold
- The Discipline to Discipline
- Suffering All Around
- A Conversation with Cal Jernigan
- Recommitted to the Mission
- Don’t Touch—Think Straight
- Hard Work if You Can Get It
- A Conversation with David Kinnaman
- Believe in It!
- Loose Hold
- Work Day
- Example, and a Few Words
- Quality First
- Even Leaders Need Forgiveness
- Wayne’s Words
- Two-Week Trial
- From Secretary to Field Rep
- A Conversation with Lee Strobel
- Advice to a Dad
- Better Leadership, Healthy Churches, Money Matters
- A Conversation with Rick Santorum
- Experiences, Relationships
- A Conversation with Liz Curtis Higgs
- Course Correction
- Be Patient!
- Too Much Preparation?
- Mind My Speak
- Bad Sermons, Big Vision
- Loving God Wholeheartedly
- Their Advice—and Ours
- Download Our New Free App Today!
7/25/14 •We Fear No More
7/18/14 •Epic Love, Exorbitant Cost
7/11/14 •When I Come to the Cross – Images of Sorrow and Joy