By Michael C. Mack “What is the best form of men’s ministry you’ve seen and why?” asked Steve Hinton, lead minister at Cypress (Texas) Crossings Christian Church. Responses via his Facebook group ranged from getting men involved in serving together, which gives them the opportunity in that environment for fellowship and discipleship, to Texas Hold-em […]
By LeRoy Lawson A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier Ishmael Beah New York: Macmillan, 2007 The Things They Carried Tim O’Brien New York: Mariner Books, 1990 The Right Stuff Tom Wolfe New York: Farrar, Strauss and Gireaux (Picador), 1979 The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins New York: Scholastic Press, 2009 A few months […]
By Jim Tune Luke tells the story of a prostitute who was so desperate to see Jesus that she crashed a dinner party at a Pharisee’s house. Moved by Jesus’ love for people like her, she began to sob, drenching his feet with her tears. Finally, she was embarrassed by her own lack of inhibitions. […]
By Mark A. Taylor How do you measure the success of your ministry? Joe Boyd and Rich Gorman and I talked about that for almost an hour last week in Christian Standard’s monthly Beyond the Standard online interview program, all while trying to address our assigned topic, “Church and Culture.” “The hardest thing about vocational […]
By Eddie Lowen My family keeps in touch almost exclusively by text message, so only a small percentage of our communication is by phone call. But when my wife or children do call me, I nearly always answer. If I’m in a meeting or a conversation, I excuse myself to take the call. Years ago, […]
This treatment of the International Sunday School Lesson is written by Sam E. Stone, former editor of CHRISTIAN STANDARD. It is published in the October 26 issue of The Lookout magazine, and is also available online at www.lookoutmag.com. ______ By Sam E. Stone This month we consider “Visions of Grandeur,” looking primarily at Ezekiel’s prophecies. G. R. Beasley-Murray put […]
By Michael C. Mack The “Preach Better Sermons” online conference webcast in April by Preaching Rocket (the rocketcompany.com), featured some of the best preachers and presenters around and provided great insights into preaching. The wisdom shared can also be applied to facilitating better Bible studies. Here are five practical tips: 1. Create tension. Andy Stanley spoke […]
By Teresa Welch Whether you are a seasoned teacher or just starting to host a small group, I recommend the following resources for help with guiding students toward maturity in Christ (see Colossians 1:28): Heart-Deep Teaching by Gary Newton (B&H Academic, 2012) is a resource for teachers concerned about the lack of biblical knowledge and […]
- Books for Bible Students: Reading the Bible for All Its Worth
- Books for Bible Students: The Three Sets of Commentaries I’d Recommend
- Books for Bible Students: Your Bible Dictionary . . . a Good Foundation
- Books for Bible Students: The Book of Acts . . . the Stories and the Issues
- Books for Bible Students: Four Books for Gospels Students
- Books for Bible Students: Read These Books to Understand the Old Testament
- Poetry Is Useless
- Diverse, Dynamic, and Difficult to Summarize
- So You Want to Write a Book: Writing a Book Takes Discipline and Drive
- So You Want to Write a Book: Four Good Reasons to Self-Publish!
- So You Want to Write a Book: What Matters Most
- So You Want to Write a Book: A Strange Blend
- So You Want to Write a Book: Three Essential Ingredients
- So You Want to Write a Book: Top Ten Ways to Writing a Book (That Gets Published)
- So You Want to Write a Book: My Read on the Question
- The Need to Read Widely
- Higher Education and the Kingdom of God
- Right and Righteous
- Living with Wonder
- Sowing Seeds of Unity
- Can We Let Artists Be Artists?
- The Power of the Arts
- Integrating Faith with Art
- Interview with an Actor
- Christian Arts?
- Capitulating to Grace
- Creating, Not Attacking, the Culture
- Can a Polygamous Man Be an Elder in the Church?
- FOR the City, Not Just IN It
- What Have We Done and Where Are We Going?
- A Playground for All Children
- John’s Gospel—Coming Soon to a Theater Near You
- The Greatest Story, Retold
- A Universal Language
10/02/14 •A Playground for All Children
10/02/14 •John’s Gospel—Coming Soon to a Theater Near You
10/02/14 •The Greatest Story, Retold
10/31/14 •Men’s Ministry: Cultivating an Environment for Relationships and Spiritual Growth
10/31/14 •A Universal Language
10/30/14 •How Much More Can I Read about War?