By Jim Tune In 1989, the movie Field of Dreams was a blockbuster hit. Kevin Costner played Ray Kinsella, a 37-year-old man who always played it safe. He had never done a spontaneous thing in his life until hearing a voice one day that said, “If you build it, he will come.” After hearing the […]
David Roadcup, James Estep, and Gary Johnson have helped thousands of elders and ministers work together more productively. Their advice to resolve elder/staff conflict: “The first step is to admit you’re broken.” Click here to see their interview with CHRISTIAN STANDARD Editor Mark Taylor.
By Mark A. Taylor My wife and I are two of the last professionals in America to use a paper calendar. It’s not that we’re opposed to digital devices. We gladly use our smartphones. I depend on Outlook to keep appointments at work, and, increasingly at home. We’re big text messagers and Facebook users. Evenings often […]
By Rick Jett (From our series “The Best or Worst Advice I’ve Ever Received.”) The best advice I ever received was from Alan Ahlgrim, former senior minister of Rocky Mountain Christian Church in Colorado. About 20 years ago, Alan was teaching one of the graduate classes I was taking at Cincinnati Christian University. One lesson […]
By Doug Priest (From our series “The Best or Worst Advice I’ve Ever Received.”) During my final year of high school in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, our school newspaper wanted to run an article where the seniors (there were 20 of us) would state the profession they wanted to go into. I wrote that I wanted […]
By Bob Russell (From our series “The Best or Worst Advice I’ve Ever Received.”) In 1983, when we began planning our first relocation project, I asked Jack Coffee, the building committee chairman, to limit the size of the new auditorium to 1,500 seats. “We have 1,000 in attendance now in a building that seats 500,” […]
Lisa Harper talks about women’s ministry in changing times and how becoming a single parent at age 50 has taught her life-changing lessons about God and about herself. See her interview with CHRISTIAN STANDARD Editor Mark Taylor here.
By LeRoy Lawson (From our series “The Best or Worst Advice I’ve Ever Received.”) The best advice I ever received? An almost impossible question! When you’ve lived as long as I have, and have sought as much counsel as I have needed, how do you highlight just one bit of advice? I could write a […]
- Lesson for July 27, 2014: Seek the Good of Others (1 Corinthians 14:13-26)
- $hort, $imple, $ignificant
- A Simple Charge
- Time Pout
- Their Prison, My Freedom
- Intentional About Intentions
- A Conversation with Gene Appel
- The Secret to a Level Head
- Somebody Already
- The Desire of My Heart
- Would a Belly Have Been Better?
- Things Will Get Better . . . or Worse!
- A Conversation with Rick Rusaw
- Too Pretty?
- Father Knew Best
- Selling Carpet and Serving the Lord
- Where’s Jesus?
- A Conversation with Ben Merold
- The Discipline to Discipline
- Suffering All Around
- A Conversation with Cal Jernigan
- Recommitted to the Mission
- Don’t Touch—Think Straight
- Hard Work if You Can Get It
- A Conversation with David Kinnaman
- Believe in It!
- Loose Hold
- Work Day
- Example, and a Few Words
- Quality First
- Even Leaders Need Forgiveness
- Wayne’s Words
- Two-Week Trial
- From Secretary to Field Rep
- A Conversation with Lee Strobel
- Advice to a Dad
- Better Leadership, Healthy Churches, Money Matters
- A Conversation with Rick Santorum
- Experiences, Relationships
- A Conversation with Liz Curtis Higgs
- Course Correction
- Be Patient!
- Too Much Preparation?
- Mind My Speak
- Bad Sermons, Big Vision
- Loving God Wholeheartedly
- My Only Hope
- Their Advice—and Ours
- Restoring Biblical Community
- Simon-Says Religion
- 5 Things to Do at the NACC
- Interview with Tim Harlow
- We Lead by Following
- A Work in Progress
- Download Our New Free App Today!
7/18/14 •Epic Love, Exorbitant Cost
7/11/14 •When I Come to the Cross – Images of Sorrow and Joy
7/07/14 •Restoring Biblical Community