How well do you know the Christmas story? Here are 17 Bible questions, taken from the King James Version, to test your Christmas IQ.
1. The first messianic promise of the seed of woman is found in:
2. What Old Testament prophet said, “A virgin shall conceive, and bear a son?”
3. What Old Testament prophet foretold that a ruler in Israel would come forth from Bethlehem?
4. The angel Gabriel appeared to Mary in the city of:
5. The Song of Mary begins:
a. “For he that is mighty hath done to me great things.”
b. “My soul doth magnify the Lord.”
c. “All generations shall call me blessed.”
d. “He hath holpen his servant Israel.”
6. “And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from [blank] that all the world should be taxed.
a. Caesar Augustus
b. Caesar Tiberius
c. Caesar Nero
d. Caesar Salad
7. Bethlehem was also called:
a. The city of refuge
b. The city of the great king
c. The city of David
d. The city of shepherds
8. What animals are specifically mentioned as being present at the birth of Christ in Luke’s narrative?
c. A donkey
d. None of the above
9. “And the Word was made [blank], and dwelt among us.”
10. The wise men followed the star until it stood over:
a. The manger
b. The temple in Jerusalem
c. Joseph’s house in Nazareth
d. A house in Bethlehem
11. The wise men presented the Christ child with these three gifts:
a. Faith, hope, and love
b. Gold, silver, and bronze
c. Gold, frankincense, and myrrh
d. Wood, hay, and stubble
12. To protect Jesus from the wrath of Herod, an angel told Joseph to take the child and Mary and “flee into [blank].”
13. This Old Testament prophet or prophetess foretold “Rachel weeping for her children,” an allusion to King Herod ordering the killing of boys in Bethlehem who were 2 years old and younger:
14. This Old Testament prophet or prophetess foretold that God would call his son out of Egypt.
15. The Holy Spirit told this righteous man that he “should not see death, before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.”
16. According to the apostle Paul, “When the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, [blank . . . ].”
a. “Made of a woman”
b. “Made under law, to redeem them that were under the law”
c. “That we might receive the adoption of sons”
d. All of the above
17. What famous Christmas song includes the words of Isaiah 9:6: “Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace”?
a. “O Holy Night”
b. “Joy to the World”
c. Handel’s Messiah
d. “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing”
Victor Knowles is founder and president of POEM (Peace on Earth Ministries), Joplin, Missouri; www.poeministries.org.
ANSWERS: 1. A (Genesis 3:15); 2. C (Isaiah 7:14); 3. B (Micah 5:2); 4. D (Luke 1:26, 27); 5. B (Luke 1:46); 6. A (Luke 2:1); 7. C (Luke 2:4); 8. D; 9. C (John 1:14); 10. D (Matthew 2:8-11); 11. C (Matthew 2:11); 12. A (Matthew 2:13); 13. A (Jeremiah 31:15); 14. B (Hosea 11:1); 15. D (Luke 2:25, 26); 16. D (Galatians 4:4, 5); 17. C.