As a leader, your words, whether written or spoken, carry tremendous weight, says teaching pastor and author Eric Geiger. Here are five phrases you should make a point of saying on a regular basis:
1. “Thank you” (or “Good job” or “We could not do it without you” or “I’m so glad you are a part of this team!”).
2. “You make the decision.” Empower others, even when they might decide differently from you.
3. “How can I help you?” Look for ways you can help and serve your team members. The best way to do that is to ask.
4. “You made a mistake, but I know you will not do it again.” Let team members know when they’ve failed, but don’t treat them as failures. A person is much more than his last mistake.
5. “I failed.” Everyone does. If you do not admit your mistakes, your team will not take risks.
—Eric Geiger, “Five Phrases Leaders Need to Say More Often,” ericgeiger.com