By Leigh Mackenzie
1. Name one thing for which you are thankful right now.
2. What challenges did you have trusting in God’s absolute power and control over all things this past week?
Ask three people—two readers and one reteller—to help. Ask the two readers to read 1 John 1:5–2:11 one after the other (preferably from different Bible versions).
Ask the third person to summarize (not interpret) the passage. (About 60 seconds is all the time needed.)
3. What recurring themes do you notice in this passage?
4. Let’s dig deeper into some specifics in this passage:
• What contrasts do you notice?
• Find and discuss each statement that includes the word if. For each one, identify the condition (the if) and then the result or promise.
5. What do you learn about God’s nature and character in this passage?
• What do you learn about God from the if statements?
6. What do you learn about people? (Include both the “dark” and “light” nature.)
• What part are we called to play in the if statements?
7. What commands in this passage are you called to obey?
• In what specific way will you “live as Jesus did” this week?
8. With whom will you share the message from this passage this week?
9. Based on this Scripture passage and our discussion, complete this sentence: This week, I will . . .
10. What challenge will you be facing this week?
For next week: Sometime over the next week, read and reflect on 3 John 3-8 and 1 John 2:20–3:1 as we continue to look at “Perfect Love” through the letters of John. You can also read next week’s supplemental texts as well as the Study and Application sections as part of your own personal study.