Lesson for Oct. 11, 2020: The Cost (2 Timothy 1:8-12; 2:3-10; 4:14-15)
“We’re All in Hospice” by David Faust (Lesson Application)
Study Questions for Groups
By Michael C. Mack
1. What new challenge did you face last week?
2. In what way did you serve others this past week that utilized a spiritual gift from God?
Ask three people—two readers and one reteller—to help. Ask the readers to read 2 Timothy 1:8-12 one after the other, preferably from different Bible versions. Repeat the process for 2 Timothy 2:3-10 and then for 2 Timothy 4:14-15.
Ask the third person to summarize the passages in one minute or less.
3. What are the main themes of these passages? (Hint: look for repeating words.)
4. Let’s dig more deeply into these passages.
• How does Paul say we should react to the suffering we may face?
• How does Paul describe his own suffering?
• Paul provided a quick synopsis of the gospel message (1:9-10). What words or phrases are most striking to you in these two verses?
• What do Paul’s three illustrations (2:3-7) teach you about living as a Christ follower?
5. What do you learn from these passages about God’s grace and his response to our suffering?
6. What do you learn about yourself?
7. You receive a call to serve with these words: “Join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God.” How do you respond?
8. Based on our study and discussion, complete this sentence: “This week, I will . . .”
9. What challenge do you anticipate this week?
For next week: Over the next week, read and reflect on 2 Timothy 2:14-26; 3:1-9. You can also read next week’s supplemental texts as well as the Study and Application sections as part of your personal study.